Desk Diver Forum

Non-categorized watch related discussion
falcon4311
Banned!

Re: Desk Diver Forum

Post by falcon4311 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36 pm

He's alright to buy from but don't get involved with him in any way where forums are concerned. I hope never to hear from him again. Some of you ex Desk Divers might be surprised to hear me saying this, but a lot went on behind the scenes.
eddiea
Founding Member

Post by eddiea » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm

falcon4311 wrote:He's alright to buy from but don't get involved with him in any way where forums are concerned. I hope never to hear from him again. Some of you ex Desk Divers might be surprised to hear me saying this, but a lot went on behind the scenes.
Heard you...last I heard from him he told me that he got rid of all his Zodiacs or something to that effect , that I though at the time was odd, but that was years ago.
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” Jack Kerouac
falcon4311
Banned!

Post by falcon4311 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm

He would go through phases. He went from Invicta, vintage, Zodiac, digital, automatic, quartz, big, small, divers and dress watches. Then he would start the cycle all over again. This was another aspect of his personality, he never knew what he wanted. I'm not here bashing Jerry, I'm just laying out the truth for all to see.
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 pm

It is a shame, I got the email and went over to see what was going on just to see it was gone. Do hope you kept some of the information from the site, some it was very good.
FreeDive

Post by FreeDive » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey what's up everybody. I just follow Don everywhere he goes, so I'm checking in here too! :) It's been a year since i bought my last watch and have sold off most of my collection but kept about 10 favorites that I hope to be littering your WRUW threads with. I was driven away from the hobby by INTENSE materialism that I noticed, kinda put things in perspective for me, and I've been happier ever since. With that said, i always have and always will love watches, and even though I dropped off the fora for a long time I still bought the magazines, watched the occaisional Tim Temple show on SNBC, and got as many watch apps on my phone as i could find. I still even check watchrecon.com at least once daily, just to see what different watches are going for these days... (Hope y'all kept your "cheap" Zodiacs!)

DeskDiver was the final stand for Jerry. The guy had a great talent for setting up forums and getting guys to join, but after 3 or 4 times people get pretty sick of their home burning down with no warning. I don't blame Don in the least for closing the doors once and for all.

I'll kick it off with my favorite watch of all time, my go-to, my numero uno:
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum. The Debaufre' is no longer being made and their site shut down. Guess is if you still wanted that model it would have to be a Grovana or Steinhart.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Welcome to the site, Andy! Good group of guys here, and I'm hoping you'll enjoy your stay... :face:
SynMike

Post by SynMike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

FreeDive wrote:DeskDiver was the final stand for Jerry. The guy had a great talent for setting up forums and getting guys to join, but after 3 or 4 times people get pretty sick of their home burning down with no warning. I don't blame Don in the least for closing the doors once and for all.

I was angry when Jerry shut down a previous forum without warning. I'm just as angry that Don shut down DeskDiver without warning. Shutting down without warning punishes the members who actually contributed.
falcon4311
Banned!

Post by falcon4311 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Well Mike, you can be angry, however, you didn't post a single thing for a week prior to me shutting it down. I was getting tired of 4 members posting in the wrist check threads. I wasn't about to wait until it was just Brice and I posting!
AlbertaTime

Post by AlbertaTime » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

falcon4311 wrote:Well Mike, you can be angry, however, you didn't post a single thing for a week prior to me shutting it down. I was getting tired of 4 members posting in the wrist check threads. I wasn't about to wait until it was just Brice and I posting!

SynMike wrote:Sorry, Don. I was out of town, out of touch for a week.

All's well. You're here now. Time to relax and enjoy :-)
eddiea
Founding Member

Post by eddiea » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:23 am

AlbertaTime wrote:
falcon4311 wrote:Well Mike, you can be angry, however, you didn't post a single thing for a week prior to me shutting it down. I was getting tired of 4 members posting in the wrist check threads. I wasn't about to wait until it was just Brice and I posting!
SynMike wrote:Sorry, Don. I was out of town, out of touch for a week.
All's well. You're here now. Time to relax and enjoy :-)
Indeed, Ron is right, enjoy your stay here ...
Welcome Andy...
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” Jack Kerouac
FreeDive

Post by FreeDive » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:28 am

Ocean wrote:Welcome to the forum. The Debaufre' is no longer being made and their site shut down. Guess is if you still wanted that model it would have to be a Grovana or Steinhart.

Thanks! As Don said, I do own this watch. It jumped off the page at me when I first saw it in a watch mag ad about 5 years ago, being one of the only affordable watches in the entire publication. Debaufre has a weird story, but as you pointed out they're gone now altogether.