Bronze watches in general...

Non-categorized watch related discussion
mrneddles

Re: Bronze watches in general...

Post by mrneddles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 pm

TROPIK BRONZE PRE-ORDER - UPDATE #4

Finally, some pictures of the prototypes!

The brown and green dials are what you will see in the production models. I've tweaked and re-tweaked the colours, taking into account the colouring of the bronze case, different lighting conditions, the interaction with the AR coating, etc etc. - I hope each of you approves of the colours.

The grey dial is not the final production version - it was executed in a matte finish instead of a metallic brushed grey, so look out for a revised version in a future update (sorry to all who ordered the grey). I thought I would show it to you regardless, as the hue is accurate.

Although I am not a fan of them, I've also included a cliched "hand in pocket" shot to illustrate the Tropik B on a 7" wrist. We will not produce the style of strap you see on the green dial Tropik B - while I personally love the minimal stitching and own several of them, this design relies solely on glue to hold the leather pieces together. We're going with a full stitch along each flank to maximize durability. In case you were wondering, the strap on the green dial was made by Ingomar of Maddog Straps.

To give you an idea of how the patina might develop, the last picture shows a "fresh" watch next to our original prototype case after two months of wear.

One final note: the date wheels on the production models will match the colour of the dials and will have white numerals.

I hope you guys enjoy the update - I will leave you with many pictures and few words (you're not the sort who reads "gentlemen's magazines" for the articles, are you?).

Regards,

Jason Lim
HALIOS Watches Ltd.
604-307-3898

svaglic

Post by svaglic » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 pm

I want one, I am trying to decide between the brown or green dial. Which do you guys think would look better with aged patina?
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
svaglic

Post by svaglic » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:59 am

kahuna74 wrote:I think I would tend to lien more with the green myself. Like the way it looks with that strap.

Thanks, that is the one I have been thinking about too. After I posted this, I thought about how I could use more of a variety of straps on it. I had no intention of getting one at first, until mrneedles showed the updates with all the info and pictures.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
eddiea
Founding Member

Any Updates on the Halios Bronze?

Post by eddiea » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am

mrneddles wrote:I'm picking up the Halios Tropik
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” Jack Kerouac
mrneddles

Post by mrneddles » Fri May 03, 2013 2:35 pm

FRIDAY, MAY 3 2013
TROPIK BRONZE PRE-ORDER - UPDATE #5

Hello all! I'm sending this month's update a couple of days earlier. The weather is getting warmer for those of us in temperate climates, but regrettably my own pasty body is far from beach-ready as I've been toiling away to get these Tropiks ready to see the sun. Perhaps some desk clenches to do the trick?

GREY DIAL SPECIFICATION CHANGE

We had originally planned to produce the grey dial with a brushed finish, as depicted in the very first drawings I released. After receiving and inspecting the brushed prototype dial, I've decided to go with the matte grey version for the final product. This is the very same dial that was shown in the last update (Update #4 from April). I found that the matte grey finish provided a lot more overall harmony and looked great with the bronze case.

I apologize to those of you who were looking forward to a brushed grey dial and are disappointed with the change, but I really am confident that the matte grey is the right choice for the Tropik Bronze. If you've chosen grey and would like to change your selection or cancel your order, please get in touch.

THE STRAPS!

1 - Medium brown, cream stitching
2 - Medium honey brown, gold stitching
3 - Medium brown, gold stitching
4 - Dark brown, cream stitching
5 - Dark reddish brown, grey stitching
6 - Dark coffee brown, gold stitching
7 - Natural, white stitching

With the exception of #7, all are pull-up leathers. They are essentially waxed or oiled leathers that lighten temporarily in areas that are bent or stretched, displaying rich shades of patina and gorgeous colour. This is the stuff that comes to mind when you think "old world leather". Each strap is handmade and hand-finished in Canada. Two sizes are available: Regular for wrists 7.25"and under and Long for wrists larger than 7.25".

Because you've invested your time, money and sanity with us and joined the pre-order, you'll be entitled to two straps and two bronze buckles. Once you decide, please email me your strap choices (including size) as soon as possible. Also, please re-confirm the dial colour that you've chosen.

On a related note, I am investigating the possibility of producing a run of nylon Zulu straps in brown, grey and green with bronze rings. Nothing has been confirmed yet but I will keep you posted on my progress.

Hope to hear from each of you very soon, and thank you again for your continued patience.

Regards,

Jason Lim
HALIOS Watches Ltd.
eddiea
Founding Member

Post by eddiea » Sat May 04, 2013 3:09 am

Shame about the now gone brushed grey, best of the bunch IMO :shock:
“Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.” Jack Kerouac
AJC

Post by AJC » Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 am

aztecknight wrote:#3and#6 for me and my green dial

They were my choices too, but I'm not getting this watch. :x Looks really nice.
DOOM - The WatchForums Supervillian
mrneddles

Post by mrneddles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 am

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5 2013
TROPIK BRONZE PRE-ORDER - UPDATE #6

Greetings! The burning question on all of your minds: when will the Tropik Bronze be ready? As much as I would LOVE to see these watches on each of your wrists, I have to ask for a bit more of your patience. We will not make a June delivery date, so my best guess is July or (heavens forbid, but likely no later than) August. The main bottleneck at this point is the bronze material, which we procure from Washington, USA. All other components (dials, straps, movements, crystals etc.) are either complete or nearing completion.

If you are able to, hang in there with us - I've had the pleasure of wearing the prototypes for a few months now, and I have to say that this is the one watch I've wanted to make for years. I think you'll be more than pleased when it's (finally) ready.

PATINA
The brown dial Tropik shown in the pictures exhibits about 2 months' worth of wear and patina. It was exposed to saltwater, chlorine, gym time, work time, play time and even a couple of visits from a mother-in-law.

The bezel has taken on a deep brown patina, presumably because it was subjected to constant rubbing and burnishing against shirt cuffs and sleeves. The green dial Tropik B also exhibited almost the same level of patina, but it was removed with a quick polish with some toothpaste.

A bronze watch opens up a few interesting possibilities: keep it polished so it retains its gold hue, let it patina naturally for a vintage nautical vibe, or possibly even try experimentation with artificial patina treatments.

NYLON STRAP
The green dial Tropik B is shown on my personal aftermarket NATO strap (they have the rectangular rings, vs. the oval rings of a Zulu). I am now even more convinced that this watch NEEDS a matching nylon strap with bronze hardware. As I mentioned in my last email, I had begun the process of making this happen. A few details have yet to be finalized, but I am pretty sure we'll be able to get it done.

A FEW PRE-ORDER STATS
- Dial colours pre-ordered: Green (45%), Grey (30%), Brown (25%)
- Individuals who have cancelled / dropped out of the pre-order: 3
- Countries: USA (40%), EU - sorry to lump you all together (25%), Singapore (10%), Korea (10%)
- Most popular strap choices: 2 and 6
- Number of times today I looked at my Tropik B and forgetting to read the time: 6

I know, I'm just padding the email at this point.

That's it! Sorry I didn't have the news you all wanted to hear, but it'll come!

Regards,

Jason Lim
HALIOS Watches Ltd.
604-307-3898