Date wheels and subdials

Non-categorized watch related discussion
DBCooper
Founding Member

Date wheels and subdials

Post by DBCooper » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 am

I suppose I'm getting picky.

A white date wheel and a black dial now disgusts me!  This poses a problem because I have to look at these frequently.

A subdial that eats a numeral now disgusts me!  A date window that eats a numeral would also fall into this category for me.  This poses a problem because I have to look at this one frequently.   When I say "eats" I mean leaving a partial number. Why not just eliminate the number? Eating an hour marker? Not so bad.

Perhaps the word "disgusts" is a bit harsh.  I still like to wear the watches.  But in all seriousness I doubt I will buy another watch that falls into these 2 categories.  What say you?
Last edited by No such person on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification of subdial eating :-)
Sam
Mortuus Fakeuus

Re: Date wheels and subdials

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 am

I'll go ahead and take one for the team, DB, -- heck, I'll even take two!  The Zeno and the Junkers...I'll take them far-far away to quell that terrible disgust...I'm here for you, Sam...and should you find yourself being disgusted with any of your other watches, just gimme a buzz and I'll right there for you again...

:shock: 
wottime

Post by wottime » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:46 am

Picky, nah. Your discernment for form, function, and design is apparent in any of your watches and is what separates your collection from others. I too like 3 hand watches and not a fan of chronos and have often wondered the same, why hack up a number, just take it out. The date wheels on the Zeno and CW aren't too bad, but a black date wheel with white numbers would blend the date into the dial and not stick out like the white dial. But then again, I would love to have any four of those in my collection.
DBCooper
Founding Member

Post by DBCooper » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for the reply wot.  This is kind of feedback I was looking for.  I posted this same thread here and on another forum, and your reply is the 1st that really gives a good explanation of how you feel about it.  I agree with you on the chronos.  Don't care for them. Like I said I still like to wear these watches but the more I do, the more those white date wheels GLARE at me.  :D
Sam
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Sam, the date wheels wouldn't bother me as bad as the Hamilton. The dial is busier than I would prefer. To me a dial has to have a flow. Most of the time I like a simple three hander,small seconds are ok. Chrono's have to be done tastefully for me to even think about them. Out of the black dials I have only my Raymond Weil has a white date wheels but also has white hour markers which works really well together.
DBCooper
Founding Member

Post by DBCooper » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Ocean wrote:Out of the black dials I have only my Raymond Weil has a white date wheels but also has white hour markers which works really well together.

I hadn't noticed but looking back at the Junkers and Zeno (white markers) it doesn't stand out as bad.

Good Call!

But that damn CW looks like it's got a spotlight shooting out of it at 3.   :lol:
Sam
gregl515

Post by gregl515 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:58 pm

You have way more discipline than I do in puttnng together a collection. That is why you have watches that flow logically one from the next. You are picky, but that is partially why you have such an interesting collection.