Let's do this

Non-categorized watch related discussion
svaglic
Founding Member

Let's do this

Post by svaglic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 pm

I am guilty of coming on here and looking for something to comment on. This is a good site, let's do this.
We all have the odd watch, let's do a review of this watch and post it here. Then, maybe, we can do a review of a mainstream watch and a vintage watch. Hell, i have the Wtf was i thinking watch.
Let's get this going. Reviews are not that hard, once the first one is done.
We also have our opinions on movements and company's. If we only wait around for threads to comment on, then we are not contributing. This is a watch forum, we all have food for thought. Let's start some threads that provoke or attempt to provoke thought. I have been lacking, but am able to pick up the pace here.
Laziness is not going to be my excuse here.
Hell, even some photo shoots on your watches. Biglove, show off that new camera microscope thing you got; How do I know of if I want one if I can't see others pictures?
Talk of cameras and settings would be great.
We all have something to discuss, let's get it posted so others can join in and make this the forum it deserves to be.
If you comment on this thread, commit to what you will provide here. It will be interesting to see what we all have.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
svaglic
Founding Member

Re: Let's do this

Post by svaglic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 pm

My comment is to do my review on my new to me Gemini when I get it. I should get it on Monday.
I commit to cheap vintage pieces with textured dials. I have some more expensive, but there are those on here who have much more experience than I on them. I will wait to see if they do the reviews.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:58 am

A while back, one of my friends at BDWF asked if I would take some pictures of my entire vintage collection to post over there in the Vintage Watches Forum. A quick inventory of my vintage pieces made me realize -- PDQ -- that doing any kind of viable summary of the whole collection, either via photography or written description(s), or both, was not really something I could readily accomplish. Not too long after that, I was made the Vintage Watch Mod there, and the idea came to me to start doing a Mort's Monthly Moldy Mechanical Marvel feature, highlighting one of my vintage watches each month, with pictures, a write-up and technical data -- where available -- to go with them. This was something I was going to do at BDWF only, but if AJC/Ocean approve, I'd be more than happy to bring the same monthly write-up/pix here.

Additionally, If I can, I'd like to think up some sort of unique feature I can bring to WF -- and WF only. Maybe a watch-related editorial page...or not. ;) Any recommendations/ideas that any of y'all might come up with would be appreciated.

Aside from that, I'm already pretty prolific when it comes to reviews, photo-essays and brand/model introductions, and I make it a point to post them at all three of the sites -- here, WL and BDWF -- I belong to. I will, of course, continue to do this.

Who's next...? :shock:
AJC

Post by AJC » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:38 am

I would love to see your moldy marvels Mort!
DOOM - The WatchForums Supervillian
kahuna74

Post by kahuna74 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:39 am

I hope they say yes mort. I love the old watches myself as some of you know and I would love to see and learn more about them. I like svoglic's idea too. I have one of the off the wall old Seiko's, I can post some shots of and tell you guys what little I know about it. I already started a thread on my Omega TC2 LED watch here and at WL and as soon as it gets to me I will post more pictures. Very excited about this watch. It was one I wanted as a much younger man and could not afford to own it. Again I hope they let mort do his thing because I think it would be a big plus to the forum.
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 am

This is your forum guys, I have said that from the beginning. I have gotten way too busy over the last 6 months to even think what to do.

For those that don't know I'm in talks to move my family to New Zealand, I have finished my testing and the have gone over my portfolio. The money is right and the wife is on board. So within the next couple of months it could be moving time.
biglove

Post by biglove » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Excellent ideas, svoglic!

Has been a rough week...HVAC system failed and replaced, aquarium canister filter leaked into my home office and a bedroom, thankfully missing our new wood floors. Today was spent re-plumbing the tank, installing new filters and ripping flooring out of the affected bedroom.

Will get the cam out and play with posting some photos.

Was thinking of posting something along the lines of collection pics and some articles. Now, mind you, I possess no great knowledge of watches; but, maybe some simple stuff.

And you are right on what needs to happen here as far as contributing. I will do better!
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
kahuna74

Post by kahuna74 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:53 am

biglove wrote:Excellent ideas, svoglic!

Has been a rough week...HVAC system failed and replaced, aquarium canister filter leaked into my home office and a bedroom, thankfully missing our new wood floors. Today was spent re-plumbing the tank, installing new filters and ripping flooring out of the affected bedroom.

Will get the cam out and play with posting some photos.

Was thinking of posting something along the lines of collection pics and some articles. Now, mind you, I possess no great knowledge of watches; but, maybe some simple stuff.

And you are right on what needs to happen here as far as contributing. I will do better!

BL, just having you here as a member has made a difference. Keep doing what you're doing and post what ever you would like. I think we all learn from each other I know I learn something new here all the time. We will get this place growing.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:45 am

Ocean wrote:This is your forum guys, I have said that from the beginning. I have gotten way too busy over the last 6 months to even think what to do.

For those that don't know I'm in talks to move my family to New Zealand, I have finished my testing and the have gone over my portfolio. The money is right and the wife is on board. So within the next couple of months it could be moving time.

Well done, O! I would love to do exactly the same thing, as NZ is a wonderful, safe and beautiful place to live. Were it not for my requirement to be close to VA facilities, I'd already BE there as of Jan '09...and I'd be "Professor Mort." (Ah, college girls; long and firm-but-soft legs; firm, gravity-defying breastesses, with hard, pert little neeeples; tight little butts you can play table tennis off of; soft, full lips, tasting of strawberries, always ready-to-go for a little tongue-wrestling...***SIGH*** 8) )

OBTW, (different subject here) do you know anzac1957 over at BDWF?
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 am

AJC wrote:I would love to see your moldy marvels Mort!

Hey, that's what she said, Andrew...er...uh, nevermind... :shock:
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:24 pm

kahuna74 wrote:BL, just having you here as a member has made a difference. Keep doing what you're doing and post what ever you would like. I think we all learn from each other I know I learn something new here all the time. We will get this place growing.

Couldn't agree more, Big Kahuna; having 'the Loaf' here has been an infusion of energy and enthusiasm, things any good watch forum needs. I wish we had ten of you, Travis! 8)
svaglic
Founding Member

Post by svaglic » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:02 pm

biglove wrote:Excellent ideas, svoglic!

Hey, I'm going to do a thread on 3 re dials I have. I know I was a sucker for getting them, but I didn't know enough about vintage watches at the time and I went for looks. Not all was lost, the cases, hands and movements are real, so if I ever get something similar, I have parts watches. I'm not an expert, but perhaps my thread will help someone else from making the same mistake.
biglove

Post by biglove » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks, Kahuna and Mort. Kind words!

I have thought about modding/doing my own watch work but have to admit it is quite intimidating.

Any of you guys ever tried it?
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:41 pm

biglove wrote:Thanks, Kahuna and Mort. Kind words!

I have thought about modding/doing my own watch work but have to admit it is quite intimidating.

No...I like watches, so why submit them to something like that? :no: Oyyy... :|
kahuna74

Post by kahuna74 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Mortuus wrote:
biglove wrote:Thanks, Kahuna and Mort. Kind words!

No...I like watches, so why submit them to something like that? :no: Oyyy... :|

Same here. I leave that to others.
biglove

Post by biglove » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 pm

I don't know. The idea of doing my own repair is intriguing. Doubtful I will ever try it; but, to be able to do so would be an impressive skill!
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:19 am

Something else we can all do here: please talk to your online friends at other watch forums -- or other non-watch forums, for that matter -- and try to see if you can recruit them over here to WF. We have a great deal to offer, I think, the number one (IMHO) being the friendliness of our atmosphere and the good guys we have here. Heck, I'd even offer some of the better jamokes over at WGLite a membership here. If, that is, they can get past WG being gone. 'Nough said... :face:
biglove

Post by biglove » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am

With the demise of PMWF, maybe we can see some migrate. Only thing is I never got close to any of them except for Reto. :(
kahuna74

Post by kahuna74 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:28 am

Great Idea mort. I am on a few diver watch groups on facebook and have made a few friends, so I will through the word out. I do think this place has improved a lot. Now if we can just keep it going.