The goal of my collection...

Non-categorized watch related discussion
biglove (Online)

The goal of my collection...

Post by biglove » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am

Having looked over the state of my collection these past few weeks and considering the knowledge that has been shared with me this last year, I have come to a conclusion about what I want in my watch box

There are times when I wear a watch that I like but I find myself eager to change it at the end of the day. These are no longer going to be kept. There are currently eight I own. Nice watches but just not a perfect fit for my tastes.

I realize that not every watch is appropriate for every situation. The ones I wear on a fishing trip are not going to be the same ones I wear to a wedding. Now, if I had the coin for some of the higher end watches, they could be, but that's not happening at this time. The best example I can give is a friend who wears only one watch, an 18K Rolex Datejust. He can and does wear it no matter what he is doing. From afar it is magnificent. Up close the gold is gashed, cut and worn. He will wear it until he kills it then just go buy another. It is the ultimate utility/dress watch for him. I just don't have the coin to NOT baby an expensive watch.

That is the way I treated my Titanium Luminox. Never gave it a second thought and it was worn 24/7 for over ten years, no matter the situation.

When I wear a watch, I want to know that if it were the only watch in my collection that I could wear it daily and be happy with it.

Does that make sense to you guys?
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
AJC

Re: The goal of my collection...

Post by AJC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 pm

I've gone down this same line of thinking before. The hard part is actually selling those off that don't make the cut.
DOOM - The WatchForums Supervillian
svaglic
Founding Member

Post by svaglic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:03 pm

I haven't been there, but can understand it. I may hit that point one day.
Right now, my direction is more. Thanks to that danged ole AJC and his darned linen dials, Gerdsons textured dials and chronometers, fourofdiamonds and his vintage Longines, Mort and his, well his entire vintage collection and hcharles has me spun with looking for a certain Whittnauer textured dial he has.
I am happy that, at this time, there is no end in sight for me. I want it all.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 am

I understand it after a fashion, I suppose, but I've far too many to even get myself down to fifty in anything under five years. (And no, I never tell anyone how many watches I have; to me, it's akin to asking a hooker how many men she's been with -- it's just wrong in more ways than I've time to list here...please: don't ask.)

And by the way, my goal really is fiddy watches. Will it happen? No. Not ever. Why? Because I too am put together in the Svagy mode; sure, fiddy sounds great, but there are far more way-cool, gotta-haves out there than a mere fiddy-limit can encompass, and I too want 'em ALL, dammit...

Late here. Me tired. G'night... :sleep:
kahuna74

Post by kahuna74 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 am

I agree with some of the others here. I regret selling every watch I have ever sold. I even have gone back and replaced a couple of them. I love old watches, and I like some of the new watches. I like LCD's, LED's, quartz, and hand winds, auto winds, Chrono's, three hand, three nob, two nob. I don't want to stop. I can change watches three times a day and often do. At night, I like a old watch that ticks on my wrist. That's the best white noise on the planet. And like some of the others, every time one of you post a watch that catches my eye, it's another one I might want. It's never the big buck watches for me, yet it is the old watches that spark that child hood memory. Just say-in,,,
biglove (Online)

Post by biglove » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks for sharing guys.

I have a max of 37 watches. That's the two cases I own plus the one on my wrist. Would like to build it up to that but considering my expensive tastes, that's gonna' take a while.

Don't really have an issue with more as I can always buy more cases. Just want to absolutely LOVE every watch I own!
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:08 pm

This is something that everyone goes through at some point. Either you have been collecting for awhile like a hoarder or never thought about till your collection approaches 50 watches.Then you do a great sell off and start over down to 7 or 8. Soon it's not enough and you add slowly till you have 35 then another sell off. it's a vicious circle. Then you buy the one say a DSSD but it doesn't come out of the safe very much due to life and not wanting to kill 10k. so beaters go up to around 350.00 and a decent watch is 1500.00 and you sit around 15-20 watches now.Unless you have a vintage obsession and you have a couple bins of parts,straps and about 100 watches in various stages of rip down, polishing, rebuilds. Be it Movements, cases, casebacks or crystals. This is when you know you have a problem!

I sorry thought you were asking about me. Carry on nothing else to see.
AJC

Post by AJC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm

I would love to get down to 8 watches at some point.

2 Divers
2 Modern Casual
2 Vintage
2 Work Watches

But I have double that at the moment. I'm trying as many flavors as I can before I settle at the magical 8.

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of watches that were very generous gifts that I would never sell. It's all-in-all a very good problem to have.
Ocean
Founding Member

Post by Ocean » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm

AJC wrote:I would love to get down to 8 watches at some point.

2 Divers
2 Modern Casual
2 Vintage
2 Work Watches

But I have double that at the moment. I'm trying as many flavors as I can before I settle at the magical 8.

My biggest problem is that I have a lot of watches that were very generous gifts that I would never sell. It's all-in-all a very good problem to have.

Gifts are a different story as in uncountable in my book.
AJC

Post by AJC » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Ocean wrote:
AJC wrote:I would love to get down to 8 watches at some point.

2 Divers
2 Modern Casual
2 Vintage
2 Work Watches

Gifts are a different story as in uncountable in my book.

I think I agree. Thank you sir!
biglove (Online)

Post by biglove » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Ocean wrote:This is something that everyone goes through at some point. Either you have been collecting for awhile like a hoarder or never thought about till your collection approaches 50 watches.Then you do a great sell off and start over down to 7 or 8. Soon it's not enough and you add slowly till you have 35 then another sell off. it's a vicious circle. Then you buy the one say a DSSD but it doesn't come out of the safe very much due to life and not wanting to kill 10k. so beaters go up to around 350.00 and a decent watch is 1500.00 and you sit around 15-20 watches now.Unless you have a vintage obsession and you have a couple bins of parts,straps and about 100 watches in various stages of rip down, polishing, rebuilds. Be it Movements, cases, casebacks or crystals. This is when you know you have a problem!

I sorry thought you were asking about me. Carry on nothing else to see.

Have quickly hit the first and second sell-offs and about to do a third if I can find the time.

Had thought my max per watch would be $3-6K but the GS GMT is making me reconsider. FFS I want that thing...at $7K! And just a year ago $300 was "high dollar!"

I consider beaters more on their toughness, my GSAR for example. My least expensive watch, a lone Casio MDV-106, gets far more respect that the GSAR despite it only being a $50 watch.

"Reasonable" watches start around $500-$1000 now. Higher end above $2K.

WTF has happened to me?!

I need to stay far away from vintage if that's what is to happen!