Small Pleasures - a discussion on watches <40mm

Non-categorized watch related discussion
Mortuus Fakeuus

Re: Small Pleasures - a discussion on watches <40mm

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Rat own, rat own...I recall strapping on a 40mm motorsport watch, a gift from Mercedes back in 2003, when I bought my first new Benz, and I remember thinking, 'man, this is a big frigging watch.' I still have it somewhere in my myriad boxes, only now it doesn't seem so huge anymore, even though I'm currently wearing a 33.5MM King Seiko as I write this. I think that those of us who are collectors of either high-end or vintage, or both, are the ones who tend to ignore the big 'uns (as Larry Megan used to call them) unless they're of a fine build, excellent pedigree or both.

Ferinstance, I have a Chase-Durer Missile Command quartz in an odd, plum metallic color referred to as "aubergine." The thing is 50mm X 16MM and weighs 300+ grams. Is it a good watch? Yeah. Do I wear it? Uh, no, at least not very often. Ditto some other pretty cool watches 'of size' in my personal collezioni. Bottom line for me is that once I get used to all those petit little watches from years gone buy, I tend to welcome these new, smaller ones with open arms, because they really are cool and can rock your wrist without even trying. All those Sub Aqua EYE EYE EYE's can't do that, and I say that as a collector who still has a few (the only one of which that gets any wear is, of course, titanium, and possesses a Valjuice 7750)...

I also have this really gorgeous Hamilton that has to be at least 50mm wide (but only about 10MM thick) with an ETA 2824-2. It looks really classy, isn't too heavy and sports thick, 24MM straps that, for all their thickness, are nonetheless very comfortable. I love this watch and wear it quite often. Even so, I still ask myself, whenever I strap it on, "what was Hammy thinking when they put this one on the market...?" :face:
biglove

Re: Small Pleasures - a discussion on watches <40mm

Post by biglove » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I prefer watches 40mm or less. Is difficult to find divers that are less than 40 though.

I know one thing for sure, that Omega Aqua-Terra in blue, in the article, gives me much lust...
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989