Hamilton - The King gets a new watch

Non-categorized watch related discussion
DBCooper
Founding Member

Hamilton - The King gets a new watch

Post by DBCooper » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm

The Ventura Elvis 80 - 80 hours power reserve for Elvis Presley's 80th birthday
Keith W. Strandberg - JULY 07, 2015

The history of Hamilton Watch and Elvis Presley goes all the way back to 1961, when the King of Rock‘n’Roll wore the ground-breaking Ventura in the movie “Blue Hawaii.” Elvis wore his own Ventura throughout his life and the Ventura became known as “the Elvis watch.”

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/new-watches/hamilton-king-gets-new-watch-2449875

Sam
Mortuus Fakeuus

Re: Hamilton - The King gets a new watch

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 pm

The short answer: I love it. Especially in the stainless steel bracelet, automatic movement iteration. Its modified shape is quite a bit more appealing than the too-large, rather blocky -- even clumsy -- version they put together for the MIB III movie; sadly, but not unexpectedly, neither the film nor the watch did very well on the market. In an ironic way, this [email protected] looks more like the Seiko "asymmetrical" models than it does Elvis' old electric Ventura, which is okay by me, as I am a genuine fan of both.

(Chronomatt has an original electric Ventura, and it's just gorgeous, though its then-cutting edge -- and admittedly a bit odd -- movement never kept very good time. His superb write-up and photo's can be found here: http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ra#p310813)

Anyhow, the only problems I have with the [email protected] Ventura are: (1) not knowing exactly what movement is behind the case-back, though I assume it's an ETA or a Sellita, and; (2) the cost -- about $1500 USD & change for the stainless bracelet version -- is a bit on the high side. Still, it is a Hamilton auto, and you can't ever go wrong with that, IMHO. If money were no object...well, we all know the rest of that old bromide, don't we?

Well, that's Mort's take on the watch; I hope it didn't come off as "ranting pontification." ;)

Thanks for posting this'n, Sam, and thanks for asking my opinion, Big Kahuna. 8)
DBCooper
Founding Member

Re: Hamilton - The King gets a new watch

Post by DBCooper » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Mortuus wrote:Well, that's Mort's take on the watch; I hope it didn't come off as "ranting pontification." ;)

I can't think of ANYONE whos opinion I would trust more than yours on these Mort. Really. Thanks for chimin' in here :)
Sam