Teddy talks beat rates

Non-categorized watch related discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
biglove (Online)
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Teddy talks beat rates

Post by biglove » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 pm

Have yet to find a video he does that fails to hold my attention. This is what watch reviewers want to be when they grow up.


https://youtu.be/XFo_U7UwROw
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
User avatar
temerityb
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by temerityb » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 pm

I can't stand this guy - just another trust fund baby who started his own "watch store." I've never heard a word from this guy that wasn't published somewhere else first. I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I will have a follow up on another thread.
“Jewelry isn’t really my thing, but I’ve always got my eye on people’s watches.” – Clive Owen
User avatar
temerityb
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by temerityb » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 pm

3Flushes wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:42 pm
^^^Look fwd to hearing more about the guy- always figured the vids were his own work.
I'm not saying they're not his own work, don't get me wrong. It's just another guys who reads spec sheets like he's revealing something new to the world. He also uses his "show" as an excuse to start his own "watch company." Spare me. I guess nauseous just thinking about these people.

I have learned 75 percent of what I know about watches from the forums. The other 25 percent comes from talking with friends in the watch and retail watch businesses. 0 percent came from opportunists on YouTube.
“Jewelry isn’t really my thing, but I’ve always got my eye on people’s watches.” – Clive Owen
User avatar
biglove (Online)
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by biglove » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 pm

^^^While he has his own shop online, I think he cares about the hobby. Along the lines of an upscale Island Watch.

I can't find fault in his presentations and the videography is phenomenal.
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
User avatar
temerityb
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by temerityb » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:10 pm

biglove wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 pm
^^^While he has his own shop online, I think he cares about the hobby. Along the lines of an upscale Island Watch.

I can't find fault in his presentations and the videography is phenomenal.
It's all good. Forgive me, though, if I respectfully step aside. These people just leave a sour taste in my mouth.
“Jewelry isn’t really my thing, but I’ve always got my eye on people’s watches.” – Clive Owen
User avatar
3Flushes
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by 3Flushes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:55 pm

biglove wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 pm
Have yet to find a video he does that fails to hold my attention. This is what watch reviewers want to be when they grow up.


https://youtu.be/XFo_U7UwROw
3Flushes wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:42 pm
Great videos

This guy is polished, and the graphics he uses and the production is top notch. I have many in the 'ol library.
temerityb wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:45 pm


...It's just another guys who reads spec sheets like he's revealing something new to the world. He also uses his "show" as an excuse to start his own "watch company." Spare me. I guess nauseous just thinking about these people.

I have learned 75 percent of what I know about watches from the forums. The other 25 percent comes from talking with friends in the watch and retail watch businesses. 0 percent came from opportunists on YouTube.
EDIT: Like you T, I learned from the forums, my watchmaker, who passed at the ripe old age of 94 a few years ago, and from a couple of family members in the jewelry / watch business.

I'm not after a YouTube education, and I have to say that while the guy can put an intelligent sentence together making him a cut above 99.9% of the shit on YouTube, there can be something about the guy-but I think he does a polished job overall. I feel exactly like you feel about this guy about 'ol REL Addams although he has some cogent insights into the watch marketplace from time to time. These guys can be shitheelish, indeed.

I checked the 'ol library, and several of this guy's vids in the 3F card catalog turns out to be four. Three of them cover Daniels (my horological hero) and the coaxial escapement, and one illustrates the function of the whole works. As far as my entire library goes, I have about 75 or so videos and graphics that illustrate various aspects of watch making and engine turning, the art and craft of guilloche fascinates me.

I'm not a particularly visually oriented person when it comes to mechanical subjects, watches, engines, and so forth, so I like Teddys's graphics and animations. I don't know where they come from but they are well done. Someday I'll get around to clipping the vids down to the art work. In the meantime I don't feel like throwing a brick through my monitor as I watch. In an admittedly cheeze-in-a-can marketplace, the guy is Pule.

As for his little store, I've never bothered to check it out. And fuck trust fund kids if he is one, the fuckin' fucks.
User avatar
temerityb
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by temerityb » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am

As I noted, it's all good. Glad you guys are enjoying it.

But to me, the literally hundreds of YouTube "reviewers" all play follow the leader. It's also why they all ended up with egg on their faces when Rolex announced their new wares this week. The most ridiculous claim was that Rolex was gonna kill off the Cellini line. Seriously. One guy pulled it out of his ass, and the others ran to the sidewalk to pick the turd up.

And I have a huge antenna when it comes to these types - very few of 'em are doing this for fun - they're out to get paid. These things never end well. As Jack Lemmon said to Walter Matthau in Out To Sea: "You're not gettin' a nickel out of me."
“Jewelry isn’t really my thing, but I’ve always got my eye on people’s watches.” – Clive Owen
User avatar
biglove (Online)
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: Teddy talks beat rates

Post by biglove » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:02 pm

temerityb wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:54 am
One guy pulled it out of his ass, and the others ran to the sidewalk to pick the turd up.
That right there paints a perfect mental picture of 99% of what passes for "news" and "research" on the interwebs. Bravo!
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
Post Reply