Phluff's year in review

Non-categorized watch related discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
thunder1
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by thunder1 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:48 pm

A pretty good read..thanx for posting!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
biglove
Banned!
Posts: 1621
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by biglove » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:16 pm

My take on Phluff's blog post, as posted in the blog comments...


"I was the former WL member that posted Phluff’s blog and still believe it is spot on, and very much so on the demise of forums.

In general forums have been slowly dying since the rise of social media. Sad thing is that enormous amounts of experience and knowledge from collectors will go away as the forums die off. FB groups are mostly photos and scammers/spammers despite moderation attempts. Reddit is a bear to navigate, IG is 99.9% watch photos without depth or user experiences.

WUS still is very active but there are always a billion “what watch should I wear when I brush my teeth” posts and the ads are burdensome, unless you pay the $20/year “premium” to ditch the ads.

MOT is unparalleled for posting deals but is otherwise dead. The CW forums are a ghost town for the most part.

PMWF died with Reto. BDWF, as much as has been done to resurrect it, including all I could do, just isn’t thriving.

WIT is brainless and a black hole of TV watch fandom.

And sadly WL has become a place where a rotten apple or two will be the end of the place. Back in the day, and I have mad respect for all that the members there have done for the hobby in uncovering shills, shakedowns and dishonesty in the hobby, WL was a place that I was proud to call home.

And as much respect as I have for a number of members there and of several I consider friends, the lack of moderation there WILL be it’s death. We live in a society now where grudges are recognised as unhealthy and where bullies are not tolerated. And sadly grudges and bullies have their say without penalty. And honestly, with all that is going on in this world, I just no longer have time for such a place.

And this makes me sad because I know that it could have been and should have been different."

***********
And because WL owns BDWF, I will be completing my karma offering that ends Sunday here and then will bid farewell to BDWF.

Has been a blast but time for me to find a new hangout.
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Administrator
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by JAS1125 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:44 am

And because WL owns BDWF, I will be completing my karma offering that ends Sunday here and then will bid farewell to BDWF.

Has been a blast but time for me to find a new hangout
I really wish you would reconsider. You've been a great member here, and instrumental in keeping this place going, such as it is.
Image
User avatar
thunder1
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by thunder1 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:21 am

JAS1125 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:44 am
And because WL owns BDWF, I will be completing my karma offering that ends Sunday here and then will bid farewell to BDWF.

Has been a blast but time for me to find a new hangout
I really wish you would reconsider. You've been a great member here, and instrumental in keeping this place going, such as it is.
+1.. :x
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
nimbleboy
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 am

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by nimbleboy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:13 pm

Yeah, dude... stick around. I guess you're probably more invested in this place than I am, but I just can't get too terribly upset about internet people. I'm still over at WL, too, but I tend to spend more time and energy here, not that it's much. But I like the vibe here...
Image
User avatar
temerityb
Banned!
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by temerityb » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:46 pm

I think I should state that I'm outta both forums as well. After getting photos of tampons directed at me, the sour taste has never left my mouth, and recent statements there have forced my hand. I'm now at WUS and WatchCrunch if anyone wants to say hi. To those who were civil and friendly over the last 12 years or so, I thank you very much. Thanks for the memories.
“Jewelry isn’t really my thing, but I’ve always got my eye on people’s watches.” – Clive Owen
User avatar
Ocean
Founding Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by Ocean » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm

temerityb wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:46 pm
I think I should state that I'm outta both forums as well. After getting photos of tampons directed at me, the sour taste has never left my mouth, and recent statements there have forced my hand. I'm now at WUS and WatchCrunch if anyone wants to say hi. To those who were civil and friendly over the last 12 years or so, I thank you very much. Thanks for the memories.
Please reconsider leaving here as I don’t put up with too much here. This forum might be connected but it also stands on its own two feet. There is a ton of information here that goes back years and I do wish that I could have gotten ahold of the backup of the original BDWF. I believe that this forum is much more civil. I’m always available for any concern but this forum is always about its members and their wants to where we go.
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Administrator
Posts: 1459
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by JAS1125 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:40 pm

Ocean wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm
temerityb wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:46 pm
I think I should state that I'm outta both forums as well. After getting photos of tampons directed at me, the sour taste has never left my mouth, and recent statements there have forced my hand. I'm now at WUS and WatchCrunch if anyone wants to say hi. To those who were civil and friendly over the last 12 years or so, I thank you very much. Thanks for the memories.
Please reconsider leaving here as I don’t put up with too much here. This forum might be connected but it also stands on its own two feet. There is a ton of information here that goes back years and I do wish that I could have gotten ahold of the backup of the original BDWF. I believe that this forum is much more civil. I’m always available for any concern but this forum is always about its members and their wants to where we go.
100% agree....We need great members like you and BL to stay. Other than sharing a server, we are independent from Lords, and frankly I can't recall any issues here, other than a certain mouse.

BTW, we tried in vain to get the content from the original BDWF but thanks to Rick from Doxa its lost to the ages
Image
User avatar
thunder1
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by thunder1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:40 pm

JAS1125 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:40 pm
Ocean wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm
temerityb wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:46 pm
I think I should state that I'm outta both forums as well. After getting photos of tampons directed at me, the sour taste has never left my mouth, and recent statements there have forced my hand. I'm now at WUS and WatchCrunch if anyone wants to say hi. To those who were civil and friendly over the last 12 years or so, I thank you very much. Thanks for the memories.
Please reconsider leaving here as I don’t put up with too much here. This forum might be connected but it also stands on its own two feet. There is a ton of information here that goes back years and I do wish that I could have gotten ahold of the backup of the original BDWF. I believe that this forum is much more civil. I’m always available for any concern but this forum is always about its members and their wants to where we go.
100% agree....We need great members like you and BL to stay. Other than sharing a server, we are independent from Lords, and frankly I can't recall any issues here, other than a certain mouse.

BTW, we tried in vain to get the content from the original BDWF but thanks to Rick from Doxa its lost to the ages
+1...we really really need you folks!!!...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
svaglic
Founding Member
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by svaglic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:38 pm

I really don’t understand why you guys are leaving, I wish you would stay. I’m really going to miss you and it makes me sad.
I won’t run off to another forum though, not after you didn’t think enough of me or the other members to stay here.
I’m not leaving here. I’m old, I’m tired and I’m set in my ways here. I’m also tired of seeing members leave when I’ve done nothing wrong.
Years ago I had an altercation with a member there. I got a pm from a member there, basically insulting me for the experiences I had in the Army. I guess my experiences didn’t line up with his opinions and what he heard military members experienced and I took it personal. I didn’t go to Koi and I didn’t follow him around insulting him or trying to get others mad at him. I didn’t exactly let it go because it still seems like yesterday at times, but if I post something then another member is allowed to express their opinion about it whether I like it or not. I think he took it far when he sent me a condescending pm insulting me, but that’s what some people do. The guy is well liked and has lots of knowledge about watches and that’s why I’m there. I didn’t leave there because of that member, I’m a member there and I won’t be run off. That’s me though, I figure I’ve been insulted by better so I keep showing up.
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
User avatar
biglove
Banned!
Posts: 1621
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by biglove » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:54 pm

^^^You know I think the world of you, Alison and am quite fond of many members here.

But the time has come. A number of us spend more time communicating other places and I am ok with that.

Once Nimble confirms he received the karma, I will be done here and won't return.

Wish all the very best.
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
User avatar
conjurer (Online)
Administrator
Posts: 1135
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Phluff's year in review

Post by conjurer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:21 am

biglove wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:54 pm
^^^You know I think the world of you, Alison and am quite fond of many members here.

But the time has come. A number of us spend more time communicating other places and I am ok with that.

Once Nimble confirms he received the karma, I will be done here and won't return.

Wish all the very best.
I shall see you in other places, Brother Loaf.
Post Reply