The Rise of the Microband

Watch related news, editorials and opinions
Post Reply
User avatar
JAS1125
Administrator
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

The Rise of the Microband

Post by JAS1125 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:45 am

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/under ... icrobrands
“The popularity of Kickstarter has precipitated a huge explosion of new brands. A rare few of them are quality, but most of them are decidedly not. Kickstarter feeds a fetish for novelty and cheapness over quality and integrity, unfortunately, and the collateral damage is that all small brands get sort of lumped together in the minds of some watch buyers – in short, it's gotten way more complicated
Image
User avatar
biglove
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: The Rise of the Microband

Post by biglove » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:19 pm

The only micros that have my attention are Nodus, for the under $500 market, and Farer for the higher end.

Have owned a Nodus and is a great watch for the money. Better made than Seiko at the same price.

Farer I have not seen in person and probably never will.

Largely over micros at this point. So much fluff for too much $ is what I am seeing now. How many ways can the sub-$500 NH35 diver be done?
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
bbattle
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun May 02, 2021 5:05 pm

Re: The Rise of the Microband

Post by bbattle » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm

I thought watch bands were going down to 5mm width or something. Like ties.

What is the width of today's fashionable ties? My collection hanging in the closet runs the gamut; being collected over the past thirty years. Thankfully, none of those monstrously wide 70's ties or those flat-bottomed knit ties of the 80's are present.
User avatar
conjurer
Administrator
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: The Rise of the Microband

Post by conjurer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:32 pm

bbattle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm
I thought watch bands were going down to 5mm width or something. Like ties.

What is the width of today's fashionable ties? My collection hanging in the closet runs the gamut; being collected over the past thirty years. Thankfully, none of those monstrously wide 70's ties or those flat-bottomed knit ties of the 80's are present.
Image
User avatar
biglove
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: The Rise of the Microband

Post by biglove » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm

conjurer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:32 pm
bbattle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm
I thought watch bands were going down to 5mm width or something. Like ties.

What is the width of today's fashionable ties? My collection hanging in the closet runs the gamut; being collected over the past thirty years. Thankfully, none of those monstrously wide 70's ties or those flat-bottomed knit ties of the 80's are present.
Image


Pictured from left to right:
Richard Pryor, Larry the Cable Guy, Stan Lee, Tom Selleck, Jackie Chan and Marlon Brando
"Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard."-Jeremy Goldberg
Image
User avatar
conjurer
Administrator
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: The Rise of the Microband

Post by conjurer » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 pm

biglove wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 pm
conjurer wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:32 pm
bbattle wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm
I thought watch bands were going down to 5mm width or something. Like ties.

What is the width of today's fashionable ties? My collection hanging in the closet runs the gamut; being collected over the past thirty years. Thankfully, none of those monstrously wide 70's ties or those flat-bottomed knit ties of the 80's are present.
Image


Pictured from left to right:
Richard Pryor, Larry the Cable Guy, Stan Lee, Tom Selleck, Jackie Chan and Marlon Brando
Fucking aye. The finest cast of any American sit-com.
Post Reply