WURW Thursday 03.28.19

The obligatory section for your daily pictures
conjurer
Administrator

Re: WURW Thursday 03.28.19

Post by conjurer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 pm

SFWatcher wrote:
conjurer wrote:Image

Which movement is Orient using in this automatic chronograph?

Thanks for the interest, Mr. Watcher. The movement is a Seiko 6S37, (Orient named it the 32A00), forty jewels, column wheel operation, 28,800 VPH. Back in the early 2000s, Seiko, which had gone completely over to quartz (apart from the Seiko 5ers, which were meant for Third World markets where batteries might be hard to get), realized that mechanical watches were making a comeback. They hired back a bunch of their older, retired watchmakers, to engineer new movements. The 6S37 was the first Seiko automatic chronograph movement since the old days, and they used it only in certain Credor models, as well as the Flightmaster. They then released some other chrono movements, I suppose because the 6S37 was too expensive. They sold some to Orient (who released them in the OS Clubman, like this, for about one year.

Later, Seiko licensed it first to Junghans, and then to TAG Heuer, who called it their own, until they were called out on WUS as using a Seiko movement.
SFWatcher

Re: WURW Thursday 03.28.19

Post by SFWatcher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:23 am

Thanks conjurer. The dial reminded me of a Seiko layout I'd seen before. With the corporate connections between Seiko, Epson, and Orient it makes perfect sense.